Non-toxic Cleaners Keep Your Family Safer
Make Non-Toxic Cleaning Part of Your Routine
Did you know that disinfecting wipes contain EPA-registered pesticides? We love using them when they’re appropriate, especially when protecting your family against COVID-19. In many ways, wipes are safer than spraying disinfectants into the air, which can get into our lungs. They’re not a one-size-fits-every-situation product, yet they’re marketed to parents and teachers as being better than non-toxic cleaners for homes and classrooms.
Let’s dive deeper into why these products aren’t always the best fit. Disinfecting chemicals often contain a class of chemicals called “Quaternary Ammonium Compounds,” also known as “quats.” These substances can irritate your skin, lungs, and even cause asthma and harm to reproductive organs.
A recent Consumer Reports article cites a 2019 analysis of the Environmental Protection Agency's Pesticide Product Labeling System, published in the American Journal of Infection Control — which states that asthma occurs in higher rates of adults who regularly use disinfectants in their jobs (healthcare workers and maintenance staff). Even more concerning is the fact that children are more susceptible to risk than adults because they breathe more air per pound of their body weight. They’re also more likely to touch surfaces while they’re still wet with disinfectant, and to put their hands in their mouths.
So what’s a parent or teacher to do? First, use a non-toxic cleaner. At Infuse, our products are 100% free from harsh chemicals including (deep breath…): Carcinogens, Phthalates, Parabens, BPA, Endocrine Disruptors, Butyl (2-butoxyethanol), Ammonia, Chlorine, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde-donors, Harsh Mineral Acids, Bleach, Nonylphenol ethoxylates, SLES, Hydroquinone, Triclosan, Triclocarban, BHA, and BHT.
If that sounds like a frightening ingredients list, remember: those are things that are NOT in our products.
Second, use a microfiber cleaning cloth. Infuse’s reusable microfiber cloths are highly effective, and unlike wipes, they don’t produce waste that ends up in landfill, because they’re not thrown away after a single-use. Just use, wash, repeat, and save some money along the way.
Cleaning with non-toxic products gets rid of germs, pure and simple. There’s a time for disinfecting, but it’s not every surface, every day. Your lungs, your skin, your family, and your world will thank you.
- Use powerful yet non-toxic cleaners to keep your family safe
- Disinfect with appropriate chemicals when necessary.